I also love all things that come with having girls. I've blogged before about our issue with hair accessories. Maybe someday I'll chronicle the dress collection we've amassed. But today I found another "girl problem" that has been lurking under my nose and I've never really acknowledged. You see - it's because despite being a girl myself, I personally don't have this problem. My sister-in-law Kristin does have this problem however and I'll be looking to her to coach me through this. Here's my discovery . . .
I was in the attic pulling out a box of baby clothes for a friend who is fostering and attempting to adopt her niece. (It's a tough situation all around and this woman's own kids are teenagers so this baby landing on their doorstep has rocked their world. But I digress . . . ) I found a pair of Brenna's old navy blue school shoes that are in good shape and was thinking that they may fit Molly this year. I brought them down, polished them and went to put them in Molly's closet . . .
OH. MY. GOD. Where in God's name did all of these shoes come from???
Granted we had a small issue in the spring with my not being able to find any of Brenna's old sandals. So I had my mother-in-law buy Molly new sandals for her birthday (having forgotten that I told my mother the same thing - whoops!) and then of course I found 2 pairs that were Brenna's after all. But looking at this photo made me think that
A. Molly is a second child and inherits most things,
B. she does wear all of these (well, except the purple flip flops with the tag still on them. She says they pinch), and
C. she needs all of them. (Okay, most of them!)
Here's my justification: Sandals - I give you that there are too many but aside from the double purchase she still would need Crocs/flip flops for the pool, water shoes for the beach, casual sandals for day-to-day and a dressy pair for church/parties. Okay, there are a few extras here but there was that mixup, right? Then there are the slippers, rain boots, and new sneakers for school next year - all necessary. On to the shoes - she needs brown and black ones. Every girl needs brown and black ones. I think some in here are navy too. And of course some need to be casual and some need to be dressy - that's an important distinction! Two in this picture don't count because they are hand-me-downs from a friend (because Molly thinks Grace has cool shoes and Grace's mom thinks it's hysterical to hear Molly describing the shoes to others by saying "These are my Grace Duke's" like Grace Duke is some sort of 6-year-old fashion maven or something!) The pink creek shoes with neon green inside she needed because Brenna needed them for camp and good luck to any mother trying to buy something for just one child when it's the other one with you in the store! Hey, they were only $7 in Marshall's and Molly does like going in the creek at the park so they have been used. On to sneakers - 2 pairs were new to Molly and 2 are hand-me-downs. You know girls need a casual pair for play and "nicer pair" (plain white Keds) to wear with those outfits that are just too nice for ratty sneakers. Admittedly this is my issue - I have a huge pet peeve with girls wearing dresses and clunky ol' cross trainers. Drives me batty!!! One pair that snuck in there is her tap shoes and naturally those are necessary.
So that's about it. See? Everything is explained. No shoe problem in this house! Nope, not here! And it will get much better once school starts because all she'll wear are navy blue Maryjanes with her uniform and sneakers on gym day. Brenna doesn't have many more than that.
Hmmm . . I wonder what Molly had on her feet when I took this photo? I know she hadn't gone out barefoot!
4 comments:
Now, now, that's not too bad really for a second child as active as Molly.
What would be worse is if she resembled MY Brenna.... a closet full of shoes and she will only wear three pairs. Flip-flops, pink boots, or white tennis shoes that tie. None of the sandals, no other pair of (3) tennis shoes, nada, zip, zilch.
At least Molly wears them and appreciates them. Sigh.
My mouth dropped open when I saw that photo. Hehe... Let me see... my boys each have a pair of boots, sandals, dress shoes, tennis shoes, and flip-flops. You know, I was really made to be a mother of boys. LOL!
Charlotte would be very, very jealous if I showed her this picture! I thought she had too many shoes and she doesn't have half as many as Molly. But my little indecisive girl would never be able to decide which ones to wear each day with that many choices.
And poor Ruby and Eliza have one pair of knock off Robeez each. That's it! Poor, deprived girls!
Jenn
I am with you on this one...a girl can never have too many shoes!!!
Emma probably has about twenty more pairs of shoes than Ethan does. I think if he is lukcy he has about three. Being a girl sure does have its perks:)
Post a Comment