Today was Brenna's last day of camp and it was also the last day for the two women who have been the directors there for well over a decade. One of them gave each girl a card with a verse she had written and a circular piece of a tree branch attached. (This woman came to this camp as a child and remembers it when it was much less developed.)
Learn from the Trees
When I was a child the trees were smaller.
Now I'm grown and they are much taller.
I remember the trees; do they remember me?
What have they been doing while I've been growing?
Each year a new ring is added;
Learn from the Trees
When I was a child the trees were smaller.
Now I'm grown and they are much taller.
I remember the trees; do they remember me?
What have they been doing while I've been growing?
Each year a new ring is added;
last year's ring moves inward to the heartwood.
Over and over again; each ring making the tree stronger.
I am like that too!
Each year I make new friends and older ones move closer to my heart.
Each year I have new experiences and the past I hold more dear.
Over and over again; each ring making the tree stronger.
I am like that too!
Each year I make new friends and older ones move closer to my heart.
Each year I have new experiences and the past I hold more dear.
What have I learned from the trees?
Every friend I meet, every memory I make,
Becomes a part of my being; forever a part of me.
Eagle Eye - Camp Tuckerman
I thought that was really beautiful. I know it's something that Brenna can't appreciate now, but I'll hold onto it and someday she'll look back at it and realize the wisdom in it.
No comments:
Post a Comment