Things are busy around here so I tend to live by my calendar these days. Losing nearly a whole week to snowdays means my errands are all backed up. I turned down coffee with an old friend for yesterday morning because I really needed to get the van's oil changed and the dealership is in the next town. I still can't understand why my girlfriend didn't want to bring coffee and sit with me there . . . :) I had some running around to do after that but Molly was going home with a friend so I had until 3pm instead of the usual 1pm. Well Miss Molly woke up feeling cranky and feverish. Back to bed with her, playdate cancelled with tears from both kids and my calendar rescheduled. Molly was lethargic all day and just wanted company so not only did I not get the oil changed but the laundry and housekeeping didn't happen either and I wound up watching a lot of Disney Channel with Miss Cranky Pants. Then I went ahead and cancelled our playdate for today with the neighbors because I didn't want Molly around their babies since I didn't know what she was dealing with.
Today I had scheduled a morning meeting for the school auction with several folks helping me with various things. Molly woke up feeling great but Brenna was down for the count! So I called school and told them to reverse my message from yesterday of "Molly absent, Brenna coming in" to "Brenna absent, Molly coming in" and called to cancel my meeting. A shot of Motrin and some juice and by 9am Brenna's "headache was gone" and she was begging to go in after all. Since I believed her it was a headache I agreed. Minutes before we walked out the door the phone rang. Molly's teacher. "She's covered in hives and scratching like crazy." (Not the "bees" again - she's been fine for a week!) Off we go to school. Brenna goes to class with the promise she'll call if she feels bad later on. Molly looks fine despite the hives so I dose her with Benedryl and send her back to class. Her teacher poked her head out and I said "Scratching doesn't merit dismissal in my book - I drugged her and she's coming back to you!" She knows I'm a bad mom so she just laughed. Given the state of things (and that I had to be back there at 11:30 since it was my scheduled day to help with lunch and I luckily hadn't switched yet - I was about to make calls when Brenna announced she was better), I decided to stay at school (there's a big rummage sale there on Sat. so I just went and helped with the sorting) and make sure everything was okay.
All's well that ends well and both girls seem better. I'm butt tired but that's to be expected. Now I have a meeting to reschedule, laundry not done and I still haven't gotten the oil changed. It's times like this that I'm so grateful not to be a "working" mom though.
I need to go eat a box of Girl Scout cookies.
2 comments:
Linda, I feel your pain! Rehm was home 3 days this week and I have laundry piled to kingdom come! Everyday this week I have taken a load out of the dryer, put the wet load in the dryer and started a new load. But I haven't caught up and I despise leaving clothes in the washer! Off to finish unloading the groceries I purchased at 11:00 am! Ugh! I hate being behind.
Jenn
That was us this past week with both dh and Adam with the stomach bug. Adam was out of school for three days. Our plan fell by the wayside. Thankfully everyone is doing much better.
Post a Comment