Wednesday, March 28, 2007

So Much for That!

For the past few months, my friend and I have been going once a month to Let's Dish - one of those dinner prep places that are popping up all over the place. We make 8 meals to bring home and stick in the freezer. Because the meals feed 6 people, I usually divide mine in half. That means we have 12 dinners each month that are wonderful, but a bit more adventurous than the meals I usually prepare. I love it and we've all benefitted from trying lots of new things. Plus the food is really good!

Tonight I made "Sesame apricot chicken with rice." Neither of my girls like sauce of any kind - no ketchup, no gravy, no spaghetti sauce - but they do like Chinese food so I figured they'd at least try this. Molly ate her rice and then gamely took a bite of the chicken. Slowly she chewed, swallowed it and wiped her mouth in her napkin. Then she looked up at me with those pretty blue eyes and sweetly said,

"Well, that was just about the worst piece of chicken I've ever had!"

Well okay then! I'll take that as a "no" vote on this dinner!

There was no face-making, gagging or any of the other usual accompaniments - just a matter-of-fact statement. So blunt in fact that I almost laughed (partly because I didn't REALLY make the dinner so my feeling weren't hurt per se!)

But the really funny part? I convinced her to try one more piece (We have the "one bite to taste and one bite to decide" rule on trying new things) and lo and behold she wound up eating it all! I wish she were always so cooperative!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Little Miss Molly cracks me up!! She is certainly entertaining. I am very interested in this Let's Dish idea. Sounds like a neat place.