Backtracking a bit . . .
"A Freeman Thanksgiving" takes shape at Auntie Dottie's each year. At a mere 37 people this year it didn't seem overly crowded! Here you see the 4 tables being assembled - though we have parted ways with the custom tables that Uncle Al used to build to accommodate the yearly gathering! We won't even discuss the year that Auntie Dottie decided we all needed to eat at one table - picture folding tables snaking end to end throughout the house. We weren't necessarily in the same rooms, but we were at one table!! And in our family it's okay that at 40 yrs old, cousins still have to sit at the kids' table because after all - there's a kids' kids' table! 
Every time I start to think that the 10 hr. drive north is becoming too much with the kids in school and such, I think about how much fun we have and I can't imagine missing it. Dean and I actually flew in from our Australian honeymoon the night before Thanksgiving 1996 and still made it to the dinner table, albeit bleary and very jetlagged, because I just couldn't bear to break tradition. The day may come when we do have to miss the festivities but until then . . . pass the potatoes, pass the dirty carrots (after all, what is a yam?), pass the broccoli, pass the peas and onions (who even eats those things!) . . .
1 comment:
I always felt the same way about Thanksgiving. Now it seems a little sad that we don't all gather with our aunts/uncles/cousins. (long story... come to think of it, I'm not even sure why....) But growing up there were about 24+ of us - 12 grandchildren; at least 12 adults. Much smaller now, but more relaxing.
Glad you can still celebrate with family (and no jealousy from DH's family?)
Post a Comment