Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Sorry-looking turkeys

With October finished and Thanksgiving looming, I thought I'd share these pictures of the turkeys we've had our eye on at Homestead Farm. Here they are in late September:












And then this is in late October:


We sure hope Auntie Dottie is planning on cooking the whole flock to feed the crowd she hosts because these are some scrawny looking birds!! Maybe Molly was right and we should give her candy to the farmers - it might help plump up these birds!

And let me just tell you, these are the ugliest creatures I've ever seen (well, except for that vulture I once saw smack dab in the middle of our street but that was like something from a cheap horror flick! Ugh!!!) When they get stressed (they live in a pen that gets visited by dozens of screaming kids every day - when AREN'T they stressed!) their heads turn bright blue and their tail feathers spread. They're still ugly though. But they taste good. ;)

3 comments:

Shelly Kelly said...

If there was some way to guarantee that you'd see them, I'd insist you come down and see the wild turkeys at the Ranch. When they walk across the field in a big line with the male strutting across at the lead, they're just beautiful. Although from the distance, I can't tell how "plump" they really are. We're not hunters, so we'll be bagging our turkey at the local grocery. *gobble gobble*

Anonymous said...

I did not know that their heads turn blue - could be useful. If mom is turning blue, then give her some space. LOL!

Anonymous said...

It is so horribly wrong of me, but one of the funniest thing I have ever seen was a turkey getting nailed by car. The road isn't a busy one, but there is a little wooded area near it. I had driven by that morning and there were about 20 turkeys by the side of the road. That afternoon, I was doing about 40 miles an hour and I see one of the turkeys running towards the road. He didn't even pause by the side... just darted out in front of the car ahead of me... flew quite high in the air... feathers everywhere... landed on the roof of the car.

I laughed the entire way to work. I know I shouldn't have... but something about it struck me as funny... I still giggle thinking about it.