Thursday, October 05, 2006

Job Aspirations

One of my favorite Brenna stories was a chat she and I had when she was just turning 3 years old. We were talking about jobs and she was fascinated that there were so may things she could be. Here's the story from my book of "Brenna-isms":

I was tucking Brenna in bed last night and she asked me if she could be an astronaut. I said "sure" and she seemed really pleased. Then she changed her mind and asked if she could be a "book writer". I again agreed and told her that when she grew up she could be anything she wanted to be. Talk about a proud female moment as I was thinking that my daughter could be President someday! Looking down at her sweet smile and her little blonde head I heard her say, "Wow! I can be anything I want? Oh good - I'll think I'll be a Barbie!" Ouch.

Well Molly has her own book of completely random comments that have many times reduced me to tears - sometimes from laughter and sometimes from just plain fear that this child is crazy! Yesterday we were driving home and Brenna told me she thought she might be a nun when she grows up. (Note: her 1st Grade teacher celebrated her 50th jubilee as a nun yesterday and gave a rousing "God could be calling you" speech to the school kids so this was fresh in her mind) I told her that if that what God was calling her to then it would be a wonderful job (all the while hoping this calling lasts through the teenage years thereby saving me additional gray hairs!) Molly pipes up that she can't decide what she wants to be. Her thoughts:

"Well, I think I could be a gymnastics teacher (the child has never had a gymnastics class in her life) but maybe not. Which would be fine because then I could be Santa Claus. I've been thinking that's what I really want to be when I'm big. Wouldn't I be cool when I'm Santa?!"

Brenna launched into a huge argument that Santa is male but there was absolutely no moving Molly. It's Santa she wants and it's Santa she will be! So start making your lists because this little elf has a big future!

1 comment:

Ethan & Emma said...

Molly can you take us for a ride on your sled and don't forget to put us on the good list:)