Monday, October 16, 2006

It's Hard To Get Old!

I had my helper Molly in the grocery store with me the other day and she was assisting me with check out. She wanted to punch in our phone number to activate the school rewards program, she wanted to scan the grocery store savings card AND scan the credit card too. Lots of work just to get food in my opinion. When she was all done she handed me a ballpoint pen from the register. For a credit card purchase, what I actually needed was the stylus thing attached to the scanner to sign the screen but they do keep pens handy for people writing checks. When I told her I didn't need that pen (the ballpoint) but rather THAT pen (the stylus) she sighed and announced, "In the old days we always used to use these kinds of pens to write things!"

I thought the cashier was going to die. (It didn't help that he is perhaps the most flamboyant guy you've ever met but he's hilarious and I usually get in his line simply because he's funny!)

He was roaring laughing saying "Dear God what is she? Like 4 years old? And she's talking about "the old days?" He cracked himself up so badly that he had everyone around us laughing too becasue he kept repeating the story.

It really was quite funny. That's Molly - the grizzled veteran of electronic payments!

No comments: