Molly had homework tonight - namely to gather 5-7 leaves of different colors and shapes. She was playing upstairs and I called her down so she could go out and get them before it got dark. She came down and I told her that she needed to get her homework done. This is the conversation:
Molly: Okay, right now?
Me: Yes now.
Molly: Okay, BRENNA? How 'bout you go out and get me some leaves?
(Brenna happily agrees)
Molly: I need different shapes and colors so pick good ones.
(Brenna dutifully trots outside.)
Molly: How many do I need, Mom?
Me: 5 or so.
Molly: Good job Bren! 5 or so is good. Maybe some extras!
So there it is. Molly at a mere 4 years old is already conning her sister into doing her homework! She claims it was because she couldn't go out while wearing her bathing suit (why she was wearing that is a whole other issue!) Didn't matter that Brenna was in pajamas! They wound up both going out attired as such and got more than enough leaves. I can only assume the neighbors saw them and I fully expect Social Services here sometime tomorrow.
Oh and here's something else to dwell on:
Molly: Can I ask you a question?
Me: Sure (while thinking that that is never a good opening line coming from her)
Molly: Why do we call pants and shirts "clothes"?
Me: Ummmm . . .
Molly: I mean, if they already had names why did we need another word for them?
Me: Ummmm . . .
Think about it. The kid has a point. It's just that in 35 years I never thought about it from that angle.
She scares me sometimes.
No comments:
Post a Comment