Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Poets Among Us

Brenna's class held a Poetry Recital last week. Each child memorized a poem and presented it to their parents and the students in Gr. 1, 2 and 4. They were awesome! I give them all so much credit for preparing so well. Not one of them even seemed nervous and there were about 150 people there. They all knew their parts perfectly and performed with emotion and humor. Brenna's poem was "If I Were in Charge of the World" by Judith Viorst.

If I were in charge of the world

I'd cancel oatmeal,

Monday mornings,

Allergy shots,

and also Sara Steinberg.

If I were in charge of the world

There'd be brighter nights lights,

Healthier hamsters, and

Basketball baskets forty eight inches lower.

If I were in charge of the world

You wouldn't have lonely.

You wouldn't have clean.

You wouldn't have bedtimes.

Or "Don't punch your sister."

(You wouldn't even have sisters!)

If I were in charge of the world

A chocolate sundae with whipped cream and nuts

would be a vegetable

All 007 movies would be G,

And a person who sometimes forgot to brush,

And sometimes forgot to flush,

Would still be allowed to be

In charge of the world.

No comments: