Thursday, March 20, 2008

Veggie Girl - sort of . . .

Molly was looking for a snack the other day. I was busy with something so I told her to go find something healthy since dinner was closing in. I had just been grocery shopping and said there was lots of fruit as well as baby carrots, celery, etc. She was bumbling around for a bit and then announced she was going to get some milk to have with her snack. I agreed and asked what she had decided on. "The green beans" she said.

I had bought some fresh green beans (I actually do like them raw but had planned to cook these) but was surprised she chose them over some of the other things in the fridge. I told her to hold on a minute and I'd come help because the beans hadn't been washed and I figured she'd need me to trim the stem ends or something.

So imagine my surprise when I rounded the corner to the kitchen and saw her sitting at the table with a huge bowl of - - jellybeans!

She must have seen my just-about-to-howl-laughing expression and blankly asked "What?" When I said that I thought she was talking about different green beans she shrugged, "Oh. Well these are the beans I meant but I only like the green ones so I'm just eating the green beans." I didn't know whether to laugh or just shake my head (I think I did both!) Mind you she's completely oblivious to the humor in this. She in no way was trying to deceive me into thinking she had a healthy snack, she was just being completely truthful that she was eating green beans. If I inferred something different than what she meant, well that was my problem.

She is really going to be trouble as she grows up. Miss Molly just really has her own way about her - and I guess what that makes us love her all the more!

No comments: