I'm coordinating a program for the Girl Scouts at Brenna's school which has them working towards a nice religious medal that they will receive on Scout Sunday. The girls are great and the project is fun but it's been really time-consuming for me. Today I held an afterschool session for them and had one of our priests come to help us work through some material. He's very dynamic and although he did a great job with the girls, he did get them all jazzed up. Then we did a lot of activities and had to get the school hall all cleaned up . . . Anyway, it was after 5pm when we finished and I was so tired that I just took the girls to McDonald's for dinner.
(None of that first paragraph is relevant to the story but as you can see, it's just all that's been running through my mind for the past 48 hrs.!)
So the girls are chattering away to me and Molly launches into a story. She said something about "trains" but I thought she said "planes." When I questioned, "Planes?" she looked at me, sighed and with an expression that she's merely tolerating me said in her best adult voice, "Well . . . no . . . that's not what we're discussing right now . . . (leans back as if to resume the story and then quickly puts her hand on my arm) but I would like to thank you for mentioning it." and just continued on with her story.
How can I not laugh at this kid? My best guess is that it must be something her teacher has said when the kids interupt her with the bizarrely random comments that they're famous for. It's just that Molly uses these comments at exactly the right time, with all the right expressions, pauses and gestures and most of all with such sincerity that it's unbelieveably comical. It was as if she was really trying to make sure my feelings weren't hurt! Oh and the sighs - she's forever sighing at me. But at least she tolerates me. Then again, that's not what we're discussing right now . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment