Saturday, October 13, 2007

Reading

Lately Molly has been much more interested in reading by herself rather than being read to. It's become evident though that as "poor, neglected subsequent child," I need to work more with her on such things. It became painfully obvious today.

We were out shopping and I suggested the girls look in the toy department for a birthday gift for their cousin.

Molly: "We should get this bouquet for him!"
Me: "A bouquet? Why?"
Molly: "Because it looks really interesting."
Me: "An interesting bouquet? Show it to me."
(She holds up an I Spy type of book)
Me: "I thought you said a bouquet?"
Molly: It is - see? B-O-O-K. Boo-K.
Followed immediately by the sound of my laughter.

It's Halloween. She knows the word Boo. She knows the letter K. I guess I follow the logic but I think this learning to read thing is going to take longer than I anticipated!!

No comments: