Thursday, September 27, 2007

New Ears

Molly's class has been giving their teachers a run for their money. They're a large group and are very energetic. Many are new to the school this year and not quite in step with the whole Cathoic school discipline thing. The "old" kids (who were there last year) are also unique in that they're all siblings of older students. It changes the dynamic in that these tykes have been in and out of that building since they were babies and thus have a certain confidence there and tend to be very "cool" in their attitudes. All in all they're great kids but it's taking a while for them all to gel as a group. They have an apple chart that is used to track behavior and from what I gathered today there are no apples to be had on that chart!

So this afternoon the class was going to church to get ready for First Friday Mass next week. This will be the first time they go to Mass with the rest of the school so they're practicing where to sit, etc. So my intercom buzzes and the teacher says, "We're leaving the building now. We'll be in church asking God for new listening ears." The principal (a nun) is standing with me and we cracked up laughing.

Tonight as Dean was tucking Molly in I hear:

Molly: Daddy, I put my old ones on your dresser.
Dean: You're old what?
Molly: My old ears
Dean: You have new ears?
Molly: Yup, brand new. From God.
Dean: (looking completely bewildered)
Molly: See, all our apples came down so we had to go to church to pray for new listening ears. And it worked! God sent me new ones so I switched them and left my old ones on your dresser. But you know . . . my old ones weren't really THAT bad. Oh and Daddy? I think when we go back to church next week we're supposed to pray for new lips or something. And when we do maybe then we'll get our apples back.

I love Catholic school!

1 comment:

Karen said...

I loved it! Just don't know what else to say... :) :) :)