Miss Molly started soccer today to take advantage of her "good kicking foot" as she termed it. It went well and the popsicles they got at the end of the session may go a long way in keeping her happy.
Let's remember back to the spring of '05 when she did a soccer clinic with her preschool: It started well but she quickly developed a weird aversion to the games the coach played and spent most of her time crying. That is, playing and crying, because she would gamely go out onto the field and try to play despite the tears. It was really heart-breaking to watch. When I'd tell her to come sit with me and watch for a while she'd just say no and keep going. After a few weeks of that she took my advice and we'd go to soccer purely to watch the other kids. The season finished with, go figure, her playing the whole last session very happily and being devastated that it was over.
I truly couldn't take the pressure of it all so I was thrilled when she said she didn't want to do soccer last fall. If I remember correctly, her exact words were "I'd rather die than do that soccer thing." Okay then . . . I'll take that as a firm "no"! (Perhaps drama classes should be the direction we look for this kid!) I was a bit skeptical when she insisted she wanted to go back this year. But the clinic is on the field right at their school during the same time Brenna has choir so I figured we had nothing to lose. Well so far so good so please wish us both (because Lord knows I can't take any more drama!) well and we'll let you know how things go in the upcoming weeks.
No comments:
Post a Comment