Monday, July 10, 2006

I have failed!

Really, I try hard but I guess I'm just a negligent mother.

We're by no means die-hard naturalists but I try to expose the girls to as much as I can. We regularly visit a great farm and they've picked apples, pumpkins, blueberries, strawberries, etc. fresh from the field. We've hiked in the woods and trailed along streams. Come on now - they've even run though corn fields in Iowa so I know my little city slickers have at least SOME residual "nature" left in them!

So I wasn't exactly prepared for Molly's comment when we recently stopped at a local farmer's market under a big tent. When I pulled into the lot she shouted out, "Yippee! We're going to the food court!" So clearly my best efforts have been in vain and I'm doomed to continue raising nothing more than two born-and-bred mall rats. Sigh. Well, at least she made me laugh!

(And today she was reading a book about giraffes and there was a photo of some African hunters. She asked, "Are those Tarzans chasing the giraffe?" Dear Lord, Tarzans? I have so much work to do before I can let this child loose on the world!)

No comments: