Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Thunder

Today's heat brought 2 hours of rumbling thunder tonight. Thunder automatically closes the pool. Normally that wouldn't be a big deal but tonight was going to be Brenna's first swim meet.

So although Miss Bren said she never wanted to swim a meet, evidently her coaches have been giving her good feedback and she decided she was ready to try two events - the 25m freestyle and the 25m breaststroke. Needless to say, she had hyped herself up just enough to be disappointed with the cancellation. The next team they swim against has several kids from her school on it so I'm not sure if she'll want to sign up for that one. She's still pretty self-conscious when it comes to athletic pursuits. I was impressed that she was willing to try this meet and hope that's a sign of more self-confidence.


Earlier in the day her VBS teacher came to my class and said she just wanted to tell me what a great kid Brenna is. She said Bren is always attentive and cooperative, always excited for activities, friendly with all of the kids (especially given that she knows none of them) and she's just generally a great kid to have around. As a parent it really does your heart good to hear that! I made sure to tell Brenna what I was told because I think it's important for her to know that her good behavior never goes unnoticed. She can be so quiet that sometimes I think she feels overlooked when adults are actually just grateful she's so good and doesn't require a lot of attention!



So I guess Brenna is really starting to "come into her own." Sometimes I see her struggling to fit into her own skin, so to speak, but she's apparently managing just fine. She's just growing up before my eyes!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Well, it doesn't surprise me at all considering you're her mother. :)

Anonymous said...

I am so very proud of all 3 of my girls. Brenna and Molly couldn't ask for a better mommy.I would like to have half of your energy.... Love you all and can't wait till August. Looking forward to your visit Lin but I can't wait for "CAMP NANA" when I get the girls all to myself.. ok I will share a little bit with papa. LET THE SPOILING BEGIN

Ethan & Emma said...

I can see why you are so proud. She is certainly a lovely young girl which is the result of your wonderful parenting!! Give yourself a pat on the back...you are doing a terrific job!