Last weekend we were having dinner with my in-laws and somehow we got talking about the names we had considered for each girl when I was pregnant. (For the record I wanted Brenna to be Ainsley but everyone hated it. Our other options were Erin and Meghan which I then decided were too popular. So here she is as Brenna Rose. For poor Molly we never really confirmed anything. We came up with hers on the exit ramp to the hospital! I was convinced she was a boy anyway.) I commented to Brenna that her father originally wanted to name her Dean like him and his father but that I didn't want to. Molly piped right up and said "I would have liked the name Dean. You could have called me 'Dean S'." I told her that actually she would have been Dean M. since their middle name is Michael. She brushed me right off and said "But he (pointing to her grandfather) is Dean Senior, he (pointing to her dad) is Dean Junior so I would have been Dean Sophomore."I think my father-in-law is still laughing. Molly always has a unique way of interpreting things. :) I guess the only time she's heard the words senior and junior have been in the context of high school, so in her mind if you work backward, sophomore is the next logical suffix to use!
Crazy kid. And one more Mollyism . . .
Yesterday I had to run to the Girl Scout store after school and be at a school board meeting at 6:30pm. Zipping between the two places I saw a McDonalds and decided to grab that for the kids' dinner. I was joking with them going in that they were not to tell their dad what they had for dinner.
Our conversation while standing in line . . .
Me (winking): "Okay, so no one breath a word about this pit stop. It's our secret right?"
Brenna (grinning): "Pinky swear" We all stick out pinkies
Molly (being devious): "Can I say 'Guess where we went?' and then tell him the Girl Scout store?"
Me: "No! You'll give it away because you can't keep a straight face"
Molly (indignant): "I can! I won't tell!"
Brenna: "No way - You can't keep a secret for anything!"
Me (pretend threatening): "If anyone lets the cat out of the bag then they're in trouble!"
Molly (dead serious) : "Oh thank God that won't be me. I don't have a cat."
I burst out laughing. Her facial expression made it a riot because she was so incredibly serious. She truly had no idea what I was talking about but she knew she was in the clear since she didn't even have a cat - much less one trapped in a bag for whatever crazy reason her mother was blabbing about! The man next to me had been listening and he too was laughing out loud. He later thanked Molly for the best laugh he'd had in a long time.
She still has no idea why we were laughing or why a cat had anything to do with it. I forget sometimes that kids really take things literally while we take these phrases for granted!
3 comments:
Molly is a riot. She looks like she is waving goodbye to summer.Give them my love
Nana
I think Brenna Rose is an absolutely beautiful name! <> <>
\_/
Uncle Don
The "I don't have a cat" comment from Molly had me LOL! I am sure there is never a dull moment with Molly around.
Post a Comment